Since we live about 200 yards from the base of the only fjord on the East coast of Sweden, I planned to resume fishing. I haven’t been fishing in about 35 years. I finally got around to getting set up to try.
I was given a free rod with a broken reel and two bobbers. Found a good deal on a replacement reel, some tackle, and a $9 lure. I strung the reel after four or five tries. Then I had to re-learn fishing knots to string a leader for the lure and leaders for bait hooks. I was ready to give it a whirl.
I walked along the water for a bit, to a proper spot, in order to test out the reel. A small concrete platform extended a few feet out above the water. I put the weighted lure and a bobber on the line. Nervous to determine if the reel worked well, and that I strung it properly, I made a simple overhead cast. Everything worked fine. I was very satisfied. I wasn’t planning on catching anything. I just wanted to know it worked.
On my next cast I got fancy with a forceful side-arm motion. I wanted to get the lure as far out as a possible. I was confused for a moment or two when I did not see a splash. Then I caught the glint of the morning sun on the monofilament. It was running parallel to the shoreline – straight to an apple tree overhanging the water. Rather than flicking 90 degrees from the tip of my rod and out into the water, the lure and bobber traveled straight – straight into the outstretched limbs of the apple tree.